Friday, April 15, 2011

We need to fix it

As you all know, Kailey had her heart check-up today. they took an ultrasound of her heart which confirmed the size. It is 1/3 of an inch!! Which on an adult heart, isn't so big... but on my small daughter's heart it is. This means that they are going to have to close the hole by the time she turns 3. We go back August 17 to check it again, that's when we will have to schedule the procedure...

I was almost at a loss for words when i heard the cardiologist say "we'll absolutely need to fix it". I think my heart almost fell out of my chest. My precious baby girl has a broken heart- literally... That breaks my heart. My little girl is going to have to go through a procedure to fix her heart before she is even 3 years old. I know that this is the best option for my girl. I know that this will improve her life. This will help her in so many ways.

The risk of NOT doing the procedure compared to DOING the procedure is higher. If we do not do this procedure now, then the pressure and strain that the murmur is putting on her heart could cause significant damage to her heart. I can also cause the heart to weaken, in turn causing her heart to not pump her blood as efficiently. Thus as she gets older it will cause more stress and more weakening. And as she gets older and starts to have children of her own, that will also put lots of stress and pressure on her weak heart. Also the extra oxygenated blood that is flowing back into the lungs from the hole can cause blood vessel damage in her lungs. So obviously we need to do this procedure, but we will definitely be getting a second opinion.

On another note, the cardiologist says that he doesn't suspect that the hole is causing her insignificant weight gain. She has only gained 2 pounds since her first birthday. He thinks that she might have a problem absorbing fat from her food. We have to see a nutritionist so see if we can fix her diet...

So, hopefully, my sweet baby girl will be okay. Please send us prayers, we need them dearly. :]


My beautiful Kailey


<3 Kayla

No comments:

Post a Comment